Thursday, August 07, 2008

Thrive!

I will be telling my daughter (when she understands enough English) that she was born innocent and wonderful. I will tell her she has inherited uncounted generations of human progress, and that she is essentially good. All she has to do is fulfill her nature and be fully herself. I won't promise her a perfect life or constant happiness, but I will assure her she can like who she is in what ever time and environment she finds herself. I want her to have a good healthy self image. I want her to have confidence in herself; questioning, investigative and always seeking deeper understanding as the way to fulfilling her nature. She should stand proud, independent and surrounded by friends. From all this comes a core motivation, a reason to thrive.

When I was a child I was told that I was born tainted by sins not even my own, that my nature was fallen, broken and would always slide into wrong. That my natural inclinations would be to hurt others and sin in a myriad of ways. That unless I committed myself to God I would suffer under this corrupted and putrid nature until I was justly tormented for eternity. I was made to understand that I should not trust my instincts, they were corrupted. I should obey. I should listen and believe. Question, only to hear the answer. What self image does this build? An ugly one, with the only goal left being to force myself into some one else's image. I was told to hope and wait for the world to be destroyed in flame, and for everyone happy with this life to be judged and tormented. I was told to struggle against the stink of my own self until I was released in death. The hope for life I was given was nothing more than survival and hope for the end. "Saint" Peter exhorted me to love this life as much as a dead person does, and I heard this from the mouths of parents and teachers.

I will not brainwash my daughter with this filth. She is a wonderful product of life, the universe and everything. Whatever deities may exist, I doubt those with creator rights will mind our appreciation for what they have made. I look at my daughter and say, good job! I look at my daughter and feel the natural desire to protect her from those who would hurt her bodily or emotionally. I look at my daughter and the natural father in me knows, deep down in my evolved genes, that I will savagely protect her from any being evil enough to wish her harm for simply being who she was born to be. My entire role as father is to help her realize and fulfill her inborn innate nature, and to defend her from those opposed.

Eyes up baby. Heart Open. Love others because they have the innate, inborn potential to be awesome. Life may be hard but we are flexible and resilient.

Eyes up baby. Heart open. No star shown above your crib on day one, but you are a gift to this world, and this world is a gift to you. You are a new and ancient force: you are humanity, refreshed once again. I'm yours until you no longer need me, and even then I'll be on stand by just in case.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

so touching and inspiring. wish i actually knew more people like you.

mariposa

domboy said...

If everyone thought like you the people in power would be out of a job. Like I always say: “When an individual stops thinking for themselves, I’ll be there to manipulate them to my own design.”

TripMaster Monkey said...

Fantastic. Way to throw off the shackles.

Anonymous said...

GLWT, retard.

Cristy said...

only a repressed, unthinking automaton would respond with such a short retort...and anonymously, no less...

XI said...

Too bad anonymous 2 did not have a cool dad like you.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I wish I had these words to say to my Catholic parents who said that my beautiful, week old son was born into sin and would go to hell unless he was baptized (in the Catholic Church of course). I printed out the last 2 paragraphs and put it in my son's baby book.
thank you!

Technomonk said...

Thanks for all the comments everybody!