Friday, July 10, 2009

Cicero wrote "On Duties" ostensibly to his son as a type of instruction on how to be a quality person. This work has been appreciated far more widely than its dedication would indicate, enough so that it was hand copied for centuries, and now an anonymous individual like myself can easily get Amazon to deliver a dual language copy to my door step in two days. I wonder what Cicero would think about the longevity of his work and the diverse crowd of his new inheritors. I wonder if his son ever read it.

2 comments:

Marvin the Martian said...

Cicero certainly was a brain, wasn't he? I haven't read him in years, though.

domboy said...

For a long time I’ve thought the Bible was a handbook on how to treat your wife. I may be wrong about the Bible, but I do believe time distorts all intentions.