Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Torture

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you."

Luke 6:27-28

Surprisingly, many Christians seem not to take love literally. Despite its clarity and its central position in the faith they choose to ignore loving our enemies and doing good to those that hate us, and instead support, justify, or condone torture. Not all Christians support torture, of course, but I have met many sincere and otherwise rational Christians that do. How can a Christian expect me to take them seriously when they justify torture? What part of "love your enemies" includes an exception for torture?

This is not what your Jesus would do.

1 comment:

domboy said...

If I were to make assumptions, I would say you were perhaps a true Christian, though I assume you would disassociate yourself from that aphorism. Those that followed, and most often assumed that title are … frankly … corrupt.
It gets complicated from here … there are so many religions and so many honorable humans who walk under the various banners, including both “Christian” and “vagabond”.
The more I think about it the more I get confused, and yet the basic premise always remains the same … right and wrong … good and bad … these always seem quite obvious and clear.