Friday, June 11, 2010

Onions aren't so bad

She was crying in the kitchen
I ignored this, until I couldn't
Beer reluctantly put down
Slow walk into adjoining room
I asked the required question,
"What's wrong?"
A quick wipe of the eyes
And a, "Nothing"
"Nothing, really"
"Just chopping onions".
Which she was.

But she was not just tearing up
Her eyes were not simply leaking
She was sobbing before I came in
And onions do not do that.
They do not push grown women beyond tears
into muffled sobs and gentle body shakes.
Onions do not do that.

I felt awkward
And unprepared.

"Move over, I'll finish chopping these"
"Onions hardly effect me at all"
She didn't resist
Smiled weakly
But sweetly,
"Thanks,"
"I'll be right back"
Which she was.

1 comment:

Marvin the Martian said...

So, what WAS she crying about? Garlic?