Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Conversational Structure

The need to talk?  Does a need to problem solve drive the need to talk?  Does all discussion seek to solve a problem?

When someone speaks to me should I understand them to be communicating in order to solve or avoid a problem?
-

Actions are part of an agent's response to circumstance.
Agent's are under a response imperative.
Speaking is an example of conversational action.
Speaking is a change that an agent makes to itself, resulting in a change in circumstantial impressions.
Conversation is initiated as a response to circumstance.
Conversation is continued as a response to conversational circumstance.
Conversation is ceased as a response to conversational circumstance.
-

I should understand people to be speaking for a reason.  That reason may not relate to conversation content, and that reason may not be mutually beneficial.  Also reasons range from the trivial to the deeply significant, and from the selfish to the caring.

Misidentifying a conversation's structural attributes leads to inappropriate responses.  I should make myself more aware of conversational structure and my position within it.

No comments: