Tuesday, November 17, 2015

RE: Bataclan

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" -- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)


My response to the Paris attacks, after the initial emotions, is a greater resolve to compassion and empathy for those fleeing religious extremism and war.  They are our neighbors, and we should care for them and accept them into our communities.  If me and mine were in their shoes, it is what I would want and hope for in others.  Writing this now firms this resolve within me, it makes dark lines where I had them only lightly sketched before.  I'm proud of the US Governors who have not come out against desperate families immigrating to their states.  The others are shameful and ignorant of our past; we've done these things before and they were never anything but wrong actions driven by fear.

I know these words are small and that their impact will be confined to myself, but I feel stronger having affirmed my position.  I feel steadier on my feet in regards to these events.  We must settle these things within ourselves, even if we are not important people.  I am small, but I hope to be steady and quickly regain my sense of direction after being shaken.

1 comment:

jennifer anderson said...

"we must settle these things within ourselves" *good